One of the most important components of your home is the roof—the part of your house that provides shelter from the elements, protection from falling tree branches, dust, and debris, and insulation from the cold and the heat. Aside from all of these practical purposes, your roof is also a huge factor in the appearance and curbside appeal of your entire property.
Because it's such an important part of the construction, roof replacement is not a home improvement project to take lightly. Doing research to find out more about your options for a roof renovation is the first step a homeowner should take in the process, while finding a reputable roofing company to guide you through a smooth replacement is the second. In this article, our expert roofing contractors at Cenco Building Services will share some information about roofing installation to help you determine your options.
Determining Your Roofing Material Needs
When it comes to roofing, the material you choose is one of the most important decisions you'll need to make. Your area's climate and weather conditions will impact your needs, which is why some areas of the country will depend heavily on metal roofing products while other areas in the county may focus on asphalt shingles, just to give an example.
Aside from climate, the angle of the roof is also an important factor that can influence the type of material you choose. Some roofing materials like rubber polymer-modified shingles work better with flat roof construction, while others, such as wood shake shingles,will perform better on steep-slope rooftops. A reputable roofing company like Cenco Building Services can help you determine your needs for your roofing construction according to your home style, your climate, your budget, and other factors.
Common Roofing Materials
These are some of the most common roofing materials used in roof installations across the United States:
- Asphalt Shingles: By far the cheapest and most obtainable. This, in turn, makes this shingle option the most popular choice. However, there are other more attractive options for those concerned with aesthetics. Plus, if durability is a concern, then it's best to explore other options.
- Wood Shake: Wood shake is beautiful, durable, and strong—although it does cost quite a bit more than asphalt and other options to install and maintain. It's also flammable (but can be coated with a flame-retardant finish for extra protection from burning). Even so, those who live in wildfire-prone environments should exercise caution when choosing this option.
- Metal Roofing: Typically made of steel or aluminum, this option has grown in popularity and appreciated for its sleek, modern look and durability. This is an excellent option for those that live in wildfire-prone areas or that would rest easier with a fireproof material.
- Slate Roofing: Considered a high-end option, slate roofing offers attractiveness and extreme durability. Keep in mind that this option is extremely heavy and can sometimes require roof reinforcement for installation. As such, this is an expensive roofing option to pursue, although it can last a very long time given the proper maintenance it needs to stand strong for over a lifetime.
- Synthetic Slate: Synthetic slate refers to rubberized tiles that closely resemble slate, but are made of recycled materials. They are lighter and less susceptible to damage. However, this option is not as common as other options and is also relatively new.
- Clay/Ceramic Tile: Clay and ceramic tiles are known for their distinct style and durability, especially in Spanish-style or Mediterranean homes. However, the trend is beginning to shift to metal and composite materials that mimic the look of clay and ceramic tiles without the higher expense and heavy maintenance they require.
What Happens During Installation?
Now that you've familiarized yourself with the material options, let's review the roofing installation process before you start working with the crew. In general, the average-sized job will take 3-4 days to complete. Various factors such as unusual house shape or inclement weather can affect this timeline.
Here's what happens during a roofing replacement project, along with some options you may have to choose from depending on your needs:
- Old Shingle Removal: All existing shingles are removed along with any damaged or old flashings and drip edgings. The key to this step is to prep the roof for all-new roofing. Anything that doesn't need replacing but can be repaired is done at this time as well.
- Ice Dam Protection: This is an optional choice for some, but sometimes necessary for cold, snowy regions such as Colorado. Ice dams are a serious threat that can compromise the structure of the roof, and protection can help to avoid having to deal with water damage from ice dam formations over the winter seasons.
- Roofing Paper: This paper is laid down over the roof sheathing before the chosen shingles are laid down. This paper provides an additional barrier against water penetration.
- Edgings and Flashing: At this point, new edgings and flashings are installed around the edge of the roof and other appropriate areas. Wherever two roof planes meet, flashing is installed accordingly.
- Shingle Application: During this step, the chosen shingles are installed according to their specifications. Every material is different and comes with its own specific process.
- Final Steps: Once the roof has been installed properly, clean-up and debris removal will begin. Make sure the new roof is inspected and approved by a building inspector before signing off on the project.
Roof Replacement with Cenco Building Services
The roof is an important part of the home. It provides protection against weather, boosts curb appeal, and regulates energy-efficiency. That's why our team at Cenco Building Services is determined to provide quality service and products to our Denver area customers, and roof replacements that are guaranteed to last for decades to come.
We proudly offer the following to our customers:
- Roof Replacements
- Roof Shingles
- Roof Repairs
- Roof Certifications
- Roof Inspections
- Roof Maintenance
Ready to begin your roofing installation with our team at Cenco Building Services? If so, give us a call to speak with one of our friendly agents about our professional roofing services or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home quote.